No Picture

Wood urges UKCS industry collaboration

Ian Wood, who led development of a strategy to revive oil and gas work on the UK Continental Shelf, says the industry risks falling far short of realizing full North Sea potential.


No Picture

OPEC Production Cut May Need to Be Extended: Oil Ministers

The oil ministers of Iran and Qatar have suggested that OPEC’s production cut agreement may have to be extended beyond the June deadline, despite an almost 100-percent compliance rate. The comments come a day after the American Petroleum Institute reported the second-largest crude oil inventory increase in history, at 14.227 million barrels, which added fuel to worries that production cut efforts are not enough to rebalance the market. Iran’s Oil Minister, Bijan Zanganeh, told Iranian media after a meeting with his Venezuelan counterpart…


No Picture

Italian Prosecutors Want Trial For Eni Over Alleged Corruption In Nigeria

Italian prosecutors asked on Wednesday for Italian oil major Eni SpA (NYSE:E), its chief executive Claudio Descalzi, and 10 other people to be sent to trial over charges of alleged international corruption, according to judicial sources. According to Italian daily La Stampa, prosecutors in Milan asked today for trial for Descalzi, Eni’s former CEO Paolo Scaroni, and other people – including managers and mediators – over alleged payment of US$1.3 billion in bribes to the former Nigerian government back in 2011, for which Eni and Royal Dutch…


No Picture

ONGC Videsh plans well offshore Bangladesh

ONGC Videsh Ltd., New Delhi, plans to spud an exploratory well in
shallow water offshore Bangladesh “in the next several months,”
according to an official of Bangladesh Oil, Gas & Mineral Corp. (Petrobangla).



No Picture

Time Bomb In Oil Markets: Goldman Sachs Issues Warning

While energy traders remain focused on weekly changes in crude supply and demand, manifesting in shifts in inventory of which yesterday’s API data and today’s EIA data was a breathtaking example, a much more troubling data point was revealed by the Energy Information Administration last week when it reported implied gasoline demand. To be sure, surging gasoline supply and inventories are hardly surprising or new: they remain a byproduct of the unprecedented global crude inventories leftover from two years of failed OPEC policy which…



No Picture

Yemen Denies ‘Fake News’ That It Withdrew Permission For US Ground Operations

Fake news?

Yesterday evening, The New York Times reported that:

Angry at the civilian casualties incurred last month in the first commando raid authorized by President TrumpYemen has withdrawn permission for the United States to run Special Operations ground missions against suspected terrorist groups in the country, according to American officials.

 

Grisly photographs of children apparently killed in the crossfire of a 50-minute firefight during the raid caused outrage in Yemen.

 

While the White House continues to insist that the attack was a “success” — a characterization it repeated on Tuesday — the suspension of commando operations is a setback for Mr. Trump, who has made it clear he plans to take a far more aggressive approach against Islamic militants.

With NYT notably remarking on President Trump’s involvement…

Mr. Obama deferred the decision to Mr. Trump, who appeared inclined to grant it: His approval of the Jan. 29 raid came over a dinner four nights earlier with his top national security aides, rather than in the kind of rigorous review in the Situation Room that became fairly routine under President George W. Bush and Mr. Obama.

And the New York Times concluded with almost gleeful abandon that specialists in Yemeni culture and politics have cautioned that Al Qaeda would seize on the raid to whip up anti-American feelings and attract more followers (seemingly forgetful of the 100s killed by Obama’s drone program).

 

HOWEVER… As The Washington Post reports today, The New York Times story is incorrect… Yemen’s top diplomat said the country has called for a “reassessment” of a Jan. 28 raid that left multiple civilians and a U.S. service member dead, but Yemen did not issue an outright ban on future American-led missions, a report said Wednesday.

The statement by Yemen’s foreign minister, Abdul-Malik al-Mekhlafi, according to the Associated Press, followed a report in the New York Times that Yemen had revoked permissions for the United States to continue ground counterterrorism operations in the country, a base for one of al-Qaeda’s most dangerous affiliates.

 

Mekhlafi told the AP that “Yemen continues to cooperate with the United States and continues to abide by all the agreements.”

 

He added, however, that the Yemeni government “is involved in talks with the U.S. administration on the latest raid.”

 

“It’s not true what’s being said,” said a senior Yemeni official in Aden, referring to the reports of a Yemeni ban on U.S. commando operations. The official spoke by phone from Aden where the internationally recognized government of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi is based.

 

“We and the international community are working side-by-side to fight terrorism,” he said

Furthermore, US CENTCOM has not stopped its operations…

 

“We have not been directed to stop any operations against al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula,” US mil CENTCOM spox about end to Yemen raids

— Lucas Tomlinson (@LucasFoxNews) February 8, 2017

“We are aware of reports indicating the Yemeni government requested a suspension of U.S. ground operations,” said acting State Department spokesman Mark Toner in a statement. “We note that the Yemeni foreign minister has denied these reports.”

The post Yemen Denies ‘Fake News’ That It Withdrew Permission For US Ground Operations appeared first on crude-oil.news.