Arabnews

No Picture

Saudi Arabia determined to face whoever dares harm its stability, security: King Salman

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Sun, 2017-07-09 05:56
ID: 
1499558373605156500

JEDDAH: King Salman on Saturday vowed to punish those who dare to harm Saudi Arabia, the Saudi Press Agency reported.
In phone calls to the relatives of the policemen who where killed in Qatif this week, the king said Saudi Arabia was firmly determined to face whoever dares to harm the stability and security of the nation and hold them accountable.
On Saturday morning, a security patrol in Qatif came under attack injuring two policemen.
The Interior Ministry’s security spokesman, Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, said the patrol was hit while passing a building that is under construction in Al-Nasra neighborhood.
The attack was the third this week in the governorate. Two security patrols were hit by explosive projectiles in Al-Musawara neighborhood resulting in the deaths of two policemen and the wounding of eight others in separate incidents.
Al-Musawara, a district of Awamiyah in Qatif, is an area which the Saudi government has slated for development. It contains many abandoned houses which terrorists have previously use for their hideouts.

— With input from SPA

Main category: 
Read More

No Picture

WHO chief thanks King Salman for anti-cholera funding

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Sun, 2017-07-09 03:00
ID: 
1499545188734692200

JEDDAH: The director general of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed his thanks and appreciation to King Salman for the Saudi Arabia’s donation of $66.7 million to combat cholera in Yemen.
This came during a meeting between Ghebreyesus and Saudi Minister of State and Cabinet member Ibrahim Al-Assaf on the sidelines of the G-20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany.
Earlier, the WHO thanked Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, deputy prime minister and minister of defense, for his donation to stop the spread of cholera in Yemen.
In response to an urgent call for funding, the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Aid (KSRelief) announced the donation to UNICEF, the WHO and their partners. Activities will center on a combination of water, sanitation and health care activities, which officials say will help save the lives of thousands of Yemenis at risk.
Earlier, UNICEF Director Anthony Lake said in a statement: “We are now facing the worst cholera outbreak in the world, with an average of 5,000 new cases every day.” The agencies say that more than 1,300 people have died — a quarter of them children — and the death toll is expected to rise.
Cholera is a highly contagious bacterial infection spread through contaminated food or water. Although the disease is easily treatable, doing so in conflict-torn Yemen has proved particularly difficult.
UN reports indicate that almost 19 million people — more than two-thirds of Yemen’s total population — are in need of humanitarian assistance, and that 14.5 million people lack access to clean water and sanitation.

Main category: 

No Picture

WHO chief thanks King Salman for anti-cholera funding

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Sun, 2017-07-09 03:00
ID: 
1499545188734692200

JEDDAH: The director general of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed his thanks and appreciation to King Salman for the Saudi Arabia’s donation of $66.7 million to combat cholera in Yemen.
This came during a meeting between Ghebreyesus and Saudi Minister of State and Cabinet member Ibrahim Al-Assaf on the sidelines of the G-20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany.
Earlier, the WHO thanked Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, deputy prime minister and minister of defense, for his donation to stop the spread of cholera in Yemen.
In response to an urgent call for funding, the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Aid (KSRelief) announced the donation to UNICEF, the WHO and their partners. Activities will center on a combination of water, sanitation and health care activities, which officials say will help save the lives of thousands of Yemenis at risk.
Earlier, UNICEF Director Anthony Lake said in a statement: “We are now facing the worst cholera outbreak in the world, with an average of 5,000 new cases every day.” The agencies say that more than 1,300 people have died — a quarter of them children — and the death toll is expected to rise.
Cholera is a highly contagious bacterial infection spread through contaminated food or water. Although the disease is easily treatable, doing so in conflict-torn Yemen has proved particularly difficult.
UN reports indicate that almost 19 million people — more than two-thirds of Yemen’s total population — are in need of humanitarian assistance, and that 14.5 million people lack access to clean water and sanitation.

Main category: 


No Picture

King Khalid Foundation eyes wider contribution to Kingdom’s GDP by 2030

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Sun, 2017-07-09 03:00
ID: 
1499545188754692500

RIYADH: Princess Banderi bint Abdulrahman Al-Faisal, director general of the King Khalid Foundation (KKF), has announced plans to assist Saudi Arabia in boosting the nonprofit sector’s contribution to gross domestic product (GDP) at 5 percent by 2030.
According to the latest government statistics, the non-profit sector accounts for less than 1 percent of GDP.
“The sector has witnessed tremendous changes in the last decade, and is now ready to join forces with other public and private sectors and achieve both the Kingdom’s development and 2030 Vision,” Princess Banderi said in a statement. She called upon nonprofit entities to focus “on sustainability and impact, not on cash handouts and charity.”
She said that the KKF plays a major role by directing its efforts toward building the capacities of local NGOs and attempting to change prevailing mindsets. She added: “We aim to help cultivate and scale the country’s fledgling non-profit sector to meet national challenges and lobby for socioeconomic change. While there is still much work to be done, change is underway.”
To address non-profit sector challenges, the foundation has created various initiatives. Last year, the KKF teamed up with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to fund “Shaghaf,” the Saudi Philanthropic Fellowship Program.
Shaghaf, meaning “passion,” kicked off by placing 10 young Saudis in a two-year program with an NGO in the Kingdom, a summer course at New York’s Columbia University and an internship at the Gates Foundation. The princess hoped that the professional skills gained from the project will aid in building a solid strategic infrastructure for the non-profit sector.
Referring to the services rendered by the foundation, Princess Banderi hailed the efforts of the KKF to influence decision-makers, referring to the Council of Ministers that passed the Women and Child Abuse Prevention Law in 2013. “The law was triggered by the KKF as we have an internal unit that focuses on evidence-based policymaking to influence decision-makers,” added the princess.
The KKF is a major Saudi charitable organization established by family members of the late King Khalid, who ruled the country from 1975 to 1982.
Since its establishment, the foundation has developed and implemented a number of social and economic development and research projects, and has awarded millions of riyals in grant and award money.

Main category: 

No Picture

Combating terror on Organization of Islamic Cooperation agenda

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Sun, 2017-07-09 03:00
ID: 
1499545188704691600

JEDDAH: The capital of Cote d’Ivoire, Abidjan, will host the 44th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on July 10 and 11.
Tariq Ali Bakhit, OIC spokesman, indicated that the two-day conference will be concluded with the adoption of the Abidjan Declaration. The foreign ministers will discuss several issues, the most salient of which relate to the Palestinian cause, the situation in Syria, Yemen, Libya, Mali and the Central African Republic, as well as issues of Muslim communities in non-member countries, especially Myanmar.
Bakhit said the conference will discuss resolutions on combating terrorism and extremism, disarmament, combating Islamophobia, and humanitarian, economic, scientific, cultural and social issues.

Main category: 

No Picture

Two Saudi security officers injured in Qatif attack

Author: 
MOHAMMED AL-SULAMI
Sun, 2017-07-09 03:00
ID: 
1499545188694691300

JEDDAH: A security patrol came under attack early Saturday morning while carrying out its duties to maintain security in Al-Nasra neighborhood in Qatif.
The Interior Ministry’s security spokesman, Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, said a patrol was targeted early Saturday morning by an explosive device while passing a building that is under construction in Al-Nasra.
The attack led to the injury of two policemen who were transferred to a hospital for treatment. Security forces started an investigation into the terrorist attack.
This is the third such attack in one week. Two security patrols were hit by explosives in Al-Musawara district in Qatif governorate, resulting in the martyrdom of two police officers and the injury of eight others in two incidents on July 4 and 6.
Al-Musawara is a district in Awamiyah which the Saudi government has slated for development. It contains many abandoned houses which terrorists use for their hideouts.
As part of the project, many dilapidated and abandoned houses had to be demolished. The narrow alleyways that led into the area posed immense risks to residents, and abandoned and destroyed houses became obstacles to providing better civic services for the area’s residents.
King Salman received cables of condolences from the leaders of Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, the UAE and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in which they expressed strong condemnation of the terrorist attack.
Egypt’s Grand Mufti Shawki Allam strongly condemned the attack, stressing that terrorism has become a threat to everyone, which necessitates joining forces and at all levels to confront this danger.
He also expressed his sincere condolences to the leadership, government and people of Saudi Arabia and wished the injured a speedy recovery.

Main category: 

No Picture

Terrorism, crime ‘has no religion’ as it targets whole world, Saudi minister tells G-20 Summit

Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Sat, 2017-07-08 17:53
ID: 
1499537473883840200

HAMBURG: Saudi Arabia has reaffirmed its stance against terrorism, telling the Group of 20 summit (G-20) on Saturday that it had no religion, but instead was a “crime that targeted the entire world.”
Condemning terrorism in all forms, the Saudi delegation added that it did not differentiate between religions and ethnic groups, and that it posed “one of the most serious threats to world peace and security.”
Representatives of the Kingdom said the responsibility of combating terrorism and extremism, lay with the entire international community, as did the promotion of moderation, cooperation and coordination between countries.
The Kingdom’s delegation, headed by Ibrahim Al-Assaf, minister of state and Cabinet member, said there was a “need to combat and prevent all sources and means of funding terrorism.”
This includes the need to work with all parties to “combat the use of the Internet and social media for terrorist or criminal purposes, including their use in recruitment and propaganda,” he said.
Speaking at the two-day G-20 Summit, entitled “Toward Building a Continuing World,” Al-Assaf said it was important to ensure strict financial measures were enforced and money laundering was combatted
He said training and job creation were essential to help deter young people from the influence of extremism.
“Unfortunately, Saudi Arabia has been the target of terrorist organizations and countries that support terrorism for more than 20 years and have been threatened by direct, indirect and multiple-source terrorism,” Al-Assaf said.
“The last of these has been the death of two security officers and the injury of more than a dozen of their colleagues in the last 48 hours in the eastern region of our country.”
The minister added that the Kingdom was leading the fight “in all its forms and manifestations” as it coordinated with the international community to combat terrorism by draining its fundingand taking military measures to fight extremism.
Al-Assaf added: “The Kingdom affirms before the G-20: Terrorism has no religion, a crime that targets the world as a first and foremost.”
He said the Kingdom had introduced laws criminalizing the funding and inciteent of terrorism, as well as the enforcing of travel bans to conflict areas.
Al-Assaf said Saudi Arabia was actively involved in the international coalition’s fight against Daesh. And he added that it was the Kingdom that had formed the Islamic Alliance for Combating Terrorism (IACT).
He said the Kingdom was working in partnership with the US Treasury, sharing information on countries and organizations, in the ongoing effort to fight extremist groups.
Al-Assaf added: “To promote the values of moderation and fight extremist ideology, the Kingdom has launched the Global Center for the Fight against Extremist Thought with the participation of US President Donald Trump and the leaders of countries participating in the Arab-American-Islamic Summit, recently held in Riyadh.”

Main category: 

No Picture

Saudi Arabia to host 2020 G20 summit

Author: 
Siraj Wahab
Sat, 2017-07-08 18:58
ID: 
1499529578513065400

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia will host the G-20 Summit in 2020, said an official statement issued on Saturday at the end of this year’s event in Hamburg, Germany.
“We thank Germany for hosting a successful Hamburg summit, and look forward to meeting again in Argentina in 2018, in Japan in 2019 and in Saudi Arabia in 2020,” AFP quoted the statement as saying.
Under the terms of the revolving presidency, G-20 hosts can set the summit agenda. Germany this year used the opportunity to focus on development partnerships with Africa.
The G-20 is a prestigious forum for the governments and central bank governors from 20 major economies, including China, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Saudi Arabia, the UK, the US and the EU.
Among the first to congratulate Saudi Arabia was Germany’s ambassador to the Kingdom, Dieter W. Haller.
“This is a true reflection of the rising stature of Saudi Arabia on the world stage. I applaud the heads of state behind this significant decision,” he said. “As we’ve seen with the decisions reached at the Hamburg summit, Saudi Arabia is a very important element of global governance.”
The Kingdom is the only Arab country and member of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in the G-20, so “this is a great honor not just for Saudi Arabia but for the entire Arab world,” Haller added.
It is not just hosting the summit that is significant, but also the G-20 presidency, he said, adding: “It runs for a whole year and culminates in the final summit. Saudi Arabia will be in charge of setting the agenda and organizing the summit of this very important forum.”
Germany is always ready to share its experience in hosting such an event “with our Saudi friends,” Haller said. The Saudi delegation at the Hamburg summit was led by Ibrahim Al-Assaf, minister of state and Cabinet member.
At the summit, Saudi Arabia reaffirmed its stance against terrorism in all forms, saying it is a “crime that targeted the entire world” and poses “one of the most serious threats to world peace and security.”
The Kingdom added that there is a “need to combat and prevent all sources and means of funding terrorism.”
The Saudi delegation said terrorism does not differentiate between religions or ethnic groups, and the responsibility of combating it and extremism lies with the entire international community, as does the promotion of moderation, cooperation and coordination between countries.

— With input from AFP

Main category: 

No Picture

Arab, Muslim leaders strongly condemn terror attack in Qatif

Author: 
Arab News
Sat, 2017-07-08 06:00
ID: 
1499460131085983200

JEDDAH: Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, the UAE and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) condemned the terror attack on security personnel in Qatif, which left one dead and others injured.
King Salman received a cable of condolences from Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber, emir of Kuwait, in which he expressed his country strong condemnation of the terrorist attack that targeted a security patrol with an explosive projectile in Al-Musawara district in Qatif municipality, resulting in the martyrdom of a security man and the injury of his colleagues.
In his cable, the emir reiterated his country’s stand with the Kingdom and its support for all measures being taken to confront terrorism and preserve its security.
He also renewed Kuwait’s rejection of terrorism in all its forms.
King Salman received cables of condolences from Kuwait’s Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, and Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah.
They expressed their sincere sympathies with the leadership and people of Saudi Arabia.
Oman also condemned the terrorist attack. A statement by the Foreign Ministry affirmed the sultanate’s solidarity with the Kingdom against the scourge of violence and terrorism.
The Bahraini Foreign Ministry strongly condemned the attack. It stressed Bahrain’s stance with Saudi Arabia in all actions and measures taken to maintain its security, stressing the need for concerted international efforts at all levels to eradicate this serious scourge that threatens all countries.
It expressed sincere condolences to the government, people and families of the martyr, wishing a speedy recovery to all who were injured.
The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation strongly condemned this terror attack stressing the UAE’s firm rejection of terrorism in all its forms, and calling for international solidarity in confronting this phenomenon that threatens international security.
Yousef bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen, secretary-general of the OIC, strongly denounced such repeated terrorist acts that target security personnel while on duty preserving public security and order.
He confirmed the support of the organization for the measures the Kingdom is taking to combat terrorism and wits sources.

Main category: