Four killed as Saudi forces foil terrorist attack claimed by Daesh on interior ministry building north of Riyadh

Sun, 2019-04-21 12:08

RIYADH: Four heavily armed attackers were killed in a failed terrorist attack claimed by Daesh on an interior ministry building in Zulfi, north of Riyadh on Sunday.

A spokesperson from the Kingdom’s Presidency of State Security said that three government security personnel suffered minor injuries during the exchange of fire with the assailants.

Daesh said in a statement by its propaganda arm Amaq that the attack on the base had been carried out by a group of its militants.

“The security authorities in the Presidency managed to thwart the terrorist act targeting the center of investigations … and dealt with them as required by the situation,” the spokesman was quoted by SPA as saying.

The identities of the four gunmen are still being determined by government authorities, the news agency added.

Special security personnel were still working on the site to assess and identify the explosive materials that the terrorists had in their possession, the spokesperson said, and the findings would be announced later.

The suspects, who were driving a car, tried to crash through the main entrance of the General Directorate of Investigation’s Center in Riyadh, but were intercepted by security to prevent the vehicle from gaining access into the compund.

Two gunmen died during the initial exchange of fire with the security forces, while one was killed as he attempted to flee.

The fourth attacker died as he tried to blow up an explosive belt,  pan-Arab daily Asharq Al-Awsat reported. 

The Kingdom of Bahrain and the Islamic Cooperation Council condemned the actions of the suspects and the terrorist attack on Sunday.

Main category: 

US highlights Saudi Arabia’s key role in global fight against terrorismSaudi Arabia participates in forum against terrorism