Car bomb strikes UAE-backed forces in Yemen

A total of nine soldiers were killed in a car bombing in Yemen’s southern city of Aden on Tuesday, according to a written statement by Yemen’s Interior Ministry.

A local medical source had said on condition of anonymity that six soldiers had been killed.

The attack struck a security building in the city, which serves as the temporary location of Yemen’s internationally recognized government.

The medical source had said 14 people were also injured in the attack, including five critically.

There was no claim of responsibility for the attack.

Read More: Car bomb strikes UAE-backed forces in Yemen

Last week, more than 40 people were killed in a suicide bombing targeting another security building in Aden. The Daesh terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Impoverished Yemen has remained in a state of civil war since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including the capital Sanaa.

The conflict escalated when Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign in 2015 aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and strengthening Yemen’s embattled government.

In September, a UN human rights report said al-Qaeda was operational in parts of war-torn Yemen, taking advantage of the chaos gripping the Arab country.

Shares